The new year is fast approaching, and with it comes a chance to start fresh and adopt some new wellness habits. But with so many options out there, it can be hard to know where to start. Naturopath & nutritionist Jess Blair shares three easy wellness habits to take into 2023.
Always Get Enough Sleep Rest
Sleep is critical for our overall health and well-being. Getting enough quality sleep can help protect our mental and physical health, boost our immune system, improve our mood and energy levels, and help us maintain a healthy weight. There are a few simple things we can do to make sure we get enough quality sleep each night:
- Establish a regular sleep schedule and stick to it as much as possible.
- Create a relaxing bedtime routine to help wind down before sleep.
- Keep electronics out of the bedroom and limit screen time before bed.
- Make sure the bedroom is dark, quiet, and cool – all conducive to good sleep.
- Get up and move around during the day to keep energy levels up and promote better sleep at night.
When it comes to herbs, there are many different ways that they can be used to improve your overall health and wellness. Herbs can be used in teas, tinctures, oils, ointments, and more. They can be ingested or applied topically.
There are countless different herbs with countless different benefits. Some common benefits of herbs include: reducing inflammation, boosting immunity, aiding in digestion, improving circulation, and helping to balance hormones.
There are also specific herbs that can be used for specific purposes. For example, ginger is often used to help with nausea and vomiting; chamomile is often used as a relaxant; lavender is frequently used to help with sleep; peppermint is commonly used to help with headaches and migraines, and echinacea is often used at the first sign of a cold or flu.
No matter what your specific needs may be, there’s a herb (or several) out there that can help. Start exploring the world of herbs and see how they can help you on your journey to better health and wellness!
Practice Regular Exercise
Exercise has countless benefits for our physical and mental health. It can help improve our mood, boost energy levels, and promote weight loss. However, for many of us, starting an exercise routine can be daunting. Here are a few tips to help you get started:
- Set realistic goals. If you’re new to exercise, don’t try to tackle too much too soon. Start with small goals that you know you can achieve, such as walking for 20 minutes every day or going to the gym three times a week.
- Find an activity that you enjoy. If you hate running, there’s no point in forcing yourself to do it. Instead, find an activity that you actually enjoy and look forward to doing, such as swimming, biking, or dancing.
- Make it a priority. Schedule time for your workouts just like you would any other important appointment. Put it in your calendar and make sure you stick to it!
- Get a friend involved. Working out with a buddy can make the whole experience more enjoyable and motivating. Plus, it’s more likely that you’ll stick to your workout plan if you’ve someone who keeps reminding you of the routine.
There are a few key things to remember when it comes to developing healthier habits: consistency is key, and baby steps lead to big changes. The above are some simple wellness habits you can start today that will make a big impact on your health down the road in 2023.